The Importance of Keywords in SEO
One of the most important components of optimizing your web page is the appropriate use of keyword phrases. In the context of your SEO diet plan, think of keywords as the protein. Protein works as a building block for your tissues and cells. In your business, keywords are the building blocks for traffic to your site.1 SEO keywords range from single words to long-tail phrases. When they’re researched and optimized within your content, they’re what’s allowing the readers you’re targeting to find what they’re looking for out of their search query.
Different Types of Keywords
Words and phrases that have a considerable number of searches in a month qualify as keywords. There are several different types of keywords to consider:
- Head Keywords – The main drivers of traffic to your site, that are popular among searchers and highly competitive. For example: marketing agency.
- Torso Keywords – Similar to head keywords, but with fewer clicks per keyword. For example: digital marketing agency.
- Long-Tail Keywords – More specific keywords, usually three words or longer. For example: SEO digital marketing agency.
- Geo-Targeted Long-Tail Keywords – Long-tail keywords with local search in mind. For example: SEO digital marketing agency in Fort Lauderdale.
Helpful Keyword Tools
Keyword research is an important step in finding the right keywords to use. There are several different keyword tools you can use to find the best keywords for your site. Many tools are available that can help you see and identify search trends, keyword popularity, keyword competitiveness, and much more.2 These keywords research tools include, but are not limited to:
- Google AdWords
- Google Trends
- Answer the Public
- Raven Tools
When it comes to optimizing the content on your site with keywords, it’s important to remember that relevant keywords are more valuable than the density of them in your writing. A common mistake amongst people who are new to SEO is keyword stuffing. However, in SEO, quality trumps quantity, for readers and search engine crawlers alike.
- Chapter 8: An Introduction to Keywords – Joe Laratro – SEO Diet
- Chapter 12: Tools to Help You Find the Best Keywords for Your Site – Joe Laratro – SEO Diet