Why You Should Have a Google My Business Listing
Especially if you’re working on a location-based SEO strategy, you’ll want to start by creating a Google My Business listing. The first question you might ask is: Is Google My Business Free? Yes! This is a free tool from Google that helps business owners manage their online presence. It shows your business name, address, phone number, hours, reviews, and website link in relevant search results. Whether you own a mom-and-pop shop or a multi-location franchise nationwide, you are going to benefit greatly from Google My Business.1
The Benefits of a Google My Business Listing
When someone searches for your business on Google, the information that’s used in the setup of your GMB profile is pulled from your GMB page and shown in the search results. There are several reasons why your business can benefit from a GMB listing.
- Visibility in SERPs. Your information will populate in relevant search queries.
- Visibility in Google Maps. Localized searches will place your business on Google maps, which will allow people to find the location of your business, as well as directions to it.
- Business Information Consistency. As the owner of your GMB listing, you can update and share your correct business information and update it as needed. If your phone number or hours have changed, you can change it in your GMB listing and it will reflect almost instantly.
- Review Management. You can communicate with people who review your business by being able to respond to negative reviews or thanking the customers who have praised you.
Verifying Your Google My Business Listing
To be able to manage your business listing, you have to verify it first. The verification process helps Google make sure that the right person has the access to edit the information. You cannot update the information on your business listing until you’ve completed the verification process.
You can verify your GMB listing by:
- Instant verification
If you need additional help with verifying your GMB listing, you can visit the Google My Business Help page.
Updating Your Google My Business Listing
Be sure to update and complete your GMB as much as possible, including the interior and exterior photos of your business.1 You want all the information portrayed on your listing to be up-to-date and accurate. You should also be responding to reviews on a regular basis, whether they’re positive or negative reviews. This not only exhibits your engagement with customers, but it also serves to improve customer experience with your business.
If you want more local SEO secrets and SEO tips that are sure to improve the organic rankings of your website, get the SEO Diet book and start working on your SEO strategy today.
- Laratro, J. (2018) SEO Diet – Chapter 7: Submitting Your Site. Fort Lauderdale, Florida